The main opjective of the Bavaria-Saat is to breed robust varieties in accordance with the following criteria:
- High quality food varieties for all harvests
- Varieties for processing purposes
- High-yield robust starch potatoes
The following spectrum of resistance categories are of special consideration when selecting varieties for breeding purposes:
- Broad nematode resistance
- Resistance to potato wart disease
- Virus resistance
- Late blight resistance
- Resistance to storage diseases
Testing for resistances is partly carried out in cooperation with the Bavarian Central Authority of Agriculture (LfL) in Freising/Weihenstephan.
The breeding material is planted outdoors in light soil for the first three years, giving a good basis for selection regarding scab and tolerance in dry conditions.